Social Icons

Pages

3 Mar 2006

BOM: Traffic

Ok, for all of you that have been to third world countries, you're going to be like "Duh." - so you might as well not read on.

But for those of you who haven't.........

OH. MY. GOD.

Its super insane. They weren't joking.

I'm not sure how everyone hasn't died yet in a traffic accident.
There seem to be no rules - although I will pay close attention to see if I see any. It seems like people and bicyles and motorcycles and buses and cars all just GO. You honk if you want someone to notice you - and that makes it ok for you to GO. If there is traffic flowing in one direction and you'd like to turn, you just GO.

No one wears helmets. I saw a few guys on motorcycles carrying helmets, but not actually wearing them.

Its made even worse by the construction in this neighbourhood - no sidewalks (are there normally some? I'm not totally sure), so people just walk sort-of to the side of the road. No lanes - you just drive/walk/cycle where you fit. Thankfully, we rarely go above 40 km/h. When we get going that fast, I get nervous - I just know we're about to squash someone. Pedestrians are super crazy too - they just wander through traffic, chatting with one another.

I suppose its just a different system. It did take ages to get from work to the hotel last night though! I'm guessing its less than 5 km.

Oh, and there are these crazy AutoRickshaws. The name didn't mean much to me until I saw one, then its super obvious. Dad, I think you'll get a kick out of them. I'll try and take a photo today.

Thank goodness for drivers! I'm kind of bummed, but I don't think I'll be doing too much walking around. We'll see....

I do think the longer you stay here, the more normal it seems.

No comments: