Social Icons

Pages

4 Mar 2014

Built-ins begin!

Yes, it is renovation season again here at the So house!

Our long term plans included built-in bookshelves in the living room.  And with only a few months of mat leave left (and thus both of us at home), the time is NOW to get to some of these projects!

Nothing was overly terrible about our living room, it was just a shade on the ugly-unfinished looking side.  It will mostly look the same when we're done, but with killer custom bookcases.  Which is sort of probably end up looking like IKEA bookcases, but fitting our space.  Also, playstation (aka, Netflix machine) and all cords will be hidden - hurrah!

Reminder:  old living room.  You can see my classic 1970s bookshelf (look familiar to any Markhams, perhaps?). and two mismatched IKEA bookshelves, all bursting with books n' things.




Kick off - here is our wood pile (poplar - aka, "poor man's cherry").  And he's begun - mantel is down already!  I'll keep you posted for how things are shaping up!




In a surprise turn of events, I've not made up my mind what to do with colours - both wall and shelves.  So, blogosphere, here are two questions for you, please make sure to take the polls at the right, polling closes March 15th! (or whenever we start painting/staining)  Calling all Internetz, please make sure to vote!  That means you!

When I say "lightly coloured stain" I mean something like a pickled oak shown below.  When I say "dark stain" I mean Jacobean (our house stain - several things are stained this here at Casa So). And of course, poplar is a-paintin' wood, so feel free to vote for white if that's how you swing.



7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Can I vote for white shelves? I think they would be pretty!

Jeanne said...

I'm with Lindsay. I believe that white is all the rage these days. (or... do whatever would match your table?)

Jannings said...

I like white, too, with the fireplace bricks maybe painted white too, or a really nice sort of dove grey, and grey or mauve paint on the walls, So exciting! What fun!The floor? You decide!

Unknown said...

Well if the woodwork in the living room is painted white and the mantle is white then it is a nice tie in. But, I've always been partial to a dark stain. What color are the floors?

Unknown said...

Well if the woodwork in the living room is painted white and the mantle is white then it is a nice tie in. But, I've always been partial to a dark stain. What color are the floors?

Corrie said...

You can see floors in the first photo - sort of a medium. No plan to change the floors at this juncture, they are what they are. Also, dark gray carpet to go over the floor, also no plan to change it right now.

Unknown said...

Illnevicius' vote white. It'll be both bright and functional.